Feb 25, 2011

Splendid! Chocolate Chip Meringue Cookies


I've always been the kinda girl who would like to eat healthy but can't be bothered to follow through. One day when I was at the store in the baking aisle buying sugar, I saw the vast array of Splenda products. I remembered seeing previously that they make a granulated variety so that people will buy it to bake with. I guess it's awesome for diabetics who will die if they eat sugar but I picked up a bag so that I could pretend that I'm eating healthier. 4 months later I found this recipe box at a store and remembered having that bag of sugar and yada yada yada, I finally made a recipe with Splenda! P.S. You can get these recipes on Splenda's website if you want to try more! Also I'm sure I will be making more in the near future. This one actually called for the Splenda sugar blend which is 50% real sugar. BTW I'm in no way making money from Splenda for this, just wanted to fill you in! 


Let me mention up top that they bake for 2 hours so plan ahead when making these! I chose to do their recipe for Chocolate Chip Meringue Crisps but I made it without walnuts and they came out different than the picture. While I'm still crediting Splenda for the recipe, I bring you my version of recipe:

Chocolate Chip Meringue Cookies

Ingredients:

1/2 tsp Vanilla extract
1/2 c. Splenda® Sugar Blend
3/4 c Semisweet chocolate chips
parchment paper

Directions: 
1) Preheat oven to 200ºF.
2) Beat egg whites with vanilla at high speed until foamy.
3) Add sugar 1 tbs at a time (I found that mine were a bit sweeter than I'd like so I suggest using 1/4-1/3 c. instead), continue beating until stiff peaks** form.
4) Gently stir in chocolate chips.
5) Spoon rounded teaspoons onto parchment lined baking sheets. (I used a tablespoon sized scoop so the ones pictured are larger than they should be). They can be placed fairly close together as they do not expand or spread while baking.
6) Bake for 2 hours. Cool slightly then move to wire racks to cool completely before storing in an airtight container.


Splenda says these have 35 Calories each but my recipe will be more due to the extra chocolate. Lessening the sugar blend will bring it back down a bit.
 

*How to separate eggs


**Stiff peaks






Yada yada yada




No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...